Electricity is a way of life and something we all rely upon. Whether it’s to charge your cell phone or computer, watch tv, listen to music, or run the air conditioning, every household uses electricity daily and not a one of us could live without it. The electrical outlets in your home that are used for plugging in all your various appliances and devices are all a part of your home’s electrical system. The electrical system should be able to comfortably handle whatever you are using on a regular basis. The professionals here at Gervais Electric want to share with you a few important parameters that should be adhered to when using the outlets in your home.
A common electrical outlet problem is that, when in use for a long period of time, they tend to get warm or some even get hot. This is a dangerous sign that typically indicates there is some sort of problem in the electrical system that needs to be addressed soon. All outlets should be wired in such a way to protect them from getting hot. When you notice an outlet is heating up, it is important to stop use of the outlet right away. Identifying the problem is essential and may very well require the expertise and know-how of a professional electrician. It is not a good idea to attempt to troubleshoot your heated outlets or overall electrical system on your own because it can be dangerous.
Why Do Electrical Outlets Get Warm or Hot?
There are a few reasons that would explain why an outlet is warm to the touch. To determine the cause, you must first begin by noticing if the outlet becomes warm only after you have been using it. Then give attention to what you were plugging into the outlet and whether the appliance or device was pulling far too much wattage. Every electrical outlet is designed to run a certain amount of voltage and when used beyond these limits, the outlet will begin to warm up. When this occurs, it is best to avoid using a power strip in the outlet and limit how many devices are plugged into the outlet at one time. More than likely, if an outlet is warming up, it is because you are overloading it.
Another common reason why electrical outlets get warm over time is that the casing around the electrical outlet, the outlet itself or even its wiring could be damaged. It is very important to have a professional electrician check for any areas that may be damaged since the outlet has an electrical current running through it. Do not attempt to do this on your own. This can be a very dangerous task and can have serious consequences.
Many homeowners are guilty of overloading the electrical outlets in their homes and are often unaware of the serious affects an overloaded outlet can have. Once you have located an outlet in your home that has been overloaded, it is critical to have it looked at right away. The outlet can present a fire hazard and should not be used until it is properly inspected and checked by a professional electrician. Upon inspection, an electrician may choose to replace the outlet or may find it necessary to replace portions of the wiring that are used in the circuit. Whatever the solution may be, an electrician from Gervais Electric has all the expertise and knowledge to provide an effective solution to your overloaded electrical outlets.
Summer is here, which means we are all apt to be running more devices and appliances as well as our air conditioning systems in our homes. To ensure the overall safety of your home and family, why not reach out to the team at Gervais Electric and schedule an inspection of your electrical system. And don’t forget, if you need any type of electrical services or repairs, we are your electricians of choice in Middle Tennessee!