Electricity is found and used in every home. Since people today rely heavily on electricity, it is critical that our valued clients learn all the important facts about electricity, how to handle it safely and the many electrical hazards that exist right in our own homes.
Sadly, electrical shocks and home fires are not as rare or uncommon as they should be. Regardless of the occurrence of both, there are certainly ways in which they can be prevented. When you are aware of and give focus to the various electrical hazards that can occur surely you can avoid them altogether and keep both your home and your family safe. Here are a few of the most common electrical hazards that are present in every home.
- Water and Electricity Don’t Mix – We are all aware that water and electricity simply do not mix. Even as young children, we learn this important fact. However, many people will still reach for their hair dryer, curling iron, or shaver when their hands are wet, and the consequences could be extreme. It is important that you instruct all your children and bear in mind yourself that you should never touch any type of appliance or any electrical outlets in your home when your hands are wet. Further, never ever attempt to unplug an appliance by reaching into the water to do so. Be sure to use caution whenever you are using an appliance or an outlet near to water. Keep all cords away from pools, bathtubs, sinks or other sources of water in and at your home.
- Noticeably Damaged Wires and Cords – Damaged, frayed, corroded, blackened or melted cords should never be used in your home. If cords are frayed exposing the wires on the inside, and you proceed to use them you may very well cause an electrical fire, a burn or an electric shock. Never try to fix damaged wires or cords yourself, but rather replace them altogether or if need be hiring an electrician to provide the guidance and help needed.
- Don’t Overuse Extension Cords – Extension cords can indeed be quite useful and beneficial. However, they should not be used for extended periods of time. They are designed to provide electrical support temporarily and should always be unplugged when not being used. It is important to understand the dangers of extension cords and never try running them through your home’s ceilings or walls since doing so can cause overheating and even an electrical fire. Statistics tell us that there are over 3000 homes that catch fire each year as a result of improper and unsafe use of extension cords. We do not want our clients to fall within those statistical records. If you find that you are frequently using extension cords, then we highly recommend you have additional electrical outlets installed to help prevent this type of electrical hazard in your home.
- Children and Pets Need to be Protected – Most electrical outlets in homes are located near to the floor. This is beneficial in many ways but can be quite harmful to children and pets. There are a couple of simple safety measures you can practice ensuring the safety of all your children and pets. Using plastic covers on all your outlets keeps little ones from sticking their fingers, toys or anything else into the outlets. Also, be sure to hide away cords so that children cannot be strangled by them and pets will not use them as a favorite chewing toy.
If you practice these simple, practical and useful tips you can certainly safeguard and protect your home and family from electrical hazards that can cause grave harm, damage and in some cases even death. For more information about electrical safety measures, or if you need any electrical services or repairs, be sure to reach out to the professionals here at Gervais Electric. We look forward to our every opportunity to serve you and send along wishes for a safe and enjoyable summer!