As we all know, there are thousands of house fires caused by all types of electrical problems and malfunctions every year. Every household is in desperate need of electricity and certainly when the electricity goes out, everything in our lives comes to a complete halt. Whether working on your computer, charging your cell phones, watching your favorite movie on television, or simply keeping your favorite beer cold, electricity is critical to every home. With that said, you want to be sure that your home electrical system is maintained adequately and electrical repairs performed when needed.
When Should You Call in an Electrician?
Maintaining your home electrical system can be challenging but is indeed critical to the overall functionality and safety of your home. When electrical problems arise, it is important for homeowners to know when they should give a call out to their electrician. Let’s go over a few signs that you should look out for when determining whether an electrician needs to be summoned.
- Constant lights flickering – Do the lights in your home flicker when you turn the blow dryer on or even the washing machine? Devices in your home that run on motors will draw a whole lot of current when they are plugged in and used. This can often cause the lights to flicker in your home. There are times, however, when even the smallest of devices when used can cause the lights to flicker. This is a good indicator that your circuit is definitely overloaded. With that said, it is time to call in an electrician so you don’t find yourself tripping circuit breakers or blowing fuses over and over again.
- Circuit breakers and fuses keep tripping – If you notice that the fuses in your home keep blowing out or that the circuit breaker keeps on tripping, then rest assured that the devices or appliances on those circuits are pulling a greater amount of current than the specific fuses are designed to handle. It is not wise to simply change out the fuses to those with a higher amperage, because this can present with a safety hazard. Call on your electrician to determine the best solution for the problem at hand.
- A noticeable smell of smoke in your home’s atmosphere – If you notice an unpleasant burning smoke smell in your home, you may very well fall victim to a house fire. Burning wires are usually the culprit when a smoke smell is present. Upon noticing such a smell, it is imperative that you quickly turn off the power in your home and reach out to your electrician immediately. Your electrician will identify the source of the problem and provide an effective solution after which you can then turn the power back on in your home.
- Buzzing sounds coming from your walls or sockets– If you have any loose terminal connections you are apt to hear buzzing sounds coming from the walls or from the sockets. Identifying the source of the buzzing and providing the necessary electrical repairs is quick and easy for the professionals, so don’t delay. Call out to an electrician when buzzing sounds are detected to ensure the safety of your home and family.
- Plugging in appliances or devices causes you an electrical shock – We all know that a slight shock can occur as a result of static electricity. However, if, every time you plug in an electrical device or appliance you find you are experiencing a shock then don’t just dismiss it. It is important you contact your electrician since you could have broken cords present or perhaps a damaged or malfunctioning circuit. This is not something to ignore, so be sure to call on your electrician right away.
A Final Thought to Share
We all fully understand how dangerous electricity can be. It can cause grave danger to your home and family and even cause death in some cases. With that said, be sure not to delay in calling on an electrician when any kind of electrical repairs are needed. Further, it is wise to put in place a routine maintenance program for your home electrical system to ensure the overall safety of your home and family at all times.
Gervais Electric, Inc. is steadfast in our commitment to provide only the highest quality electrical repairs and services to all our valued clients. Our clients are our number one priority and ensuring their safety is first and foremost for our team. To schedule a service appointment or to learn more about our high-quality services be sure to reach out to one of our team members today. It’s easy to put a routine electrical safety program in place when you let our team of experts help. Don’t delay. Reach out to our team today!