Many commercial businesses over the age of 25 years are faced with outdated electrical systems and wiring problems. In very old buildings, the wiring was installed behind the wall plaster and always out of sight. Old wiring can pose many safety dangers to dated structures and to tenants, with fires being one of the most common and obvious. The wiring in any very old building is apt to be faulty and can, over time, lead to some serious safety and fire issues.
There are a number of reasons why the wiring in an old building is outdated and dangerous. Here are a few of the most common reasons why wiring becomes, or is, faulty and unsafe.
- Old wiring that has been modified or altered in any way can lead to live wires or connections that are not executed properly. In the walls of an old commercial building may be a number of improperly modified wires that can contribute to electrical fires and other problems.
- Insulation on electrical wires in old or historical buildings, typically does not comply with industry standards of today. Overtime, old insulation will become brittle and begin to disintegrate causing the old wiring to become exposed. Exposed wires will often lead to fires.
- Antique building were often built with knob and tube wiring. Age old knob and tube wiring becomes weathered and worn out over the years. When this happens, it can lead to electrical fires in your building.
- Very old electrical designs in extremely old buildings simply do not meet with industry codes, regulations, and standards of today- and they surely would never pass any electrical inspections performed. An electrical design of any building needs to be up to date and compliant, so as to avoid any fires or other harmful outcomes to the structure of the building and/or its tenants.
- If your equipment or appliances in your building are not amped properly, there is a good chance that you might find yourself faced with a building fire at some point. Old buildings were designed and built with low amp wiring, which in today’s world is a prime source of building fires.
- Finally, the breakers in an old building are sure to be out of date. The circuit panel may not have been upgraded for years, resulting in faulty breakers and switches. With that said, it is imperative to upgrade the circuit panel in an old building to ensure the safety of the structure and its tenants.
THE TEAM OF EXPERTS YOU CAN ALWAYS RELY ON
In order for an old building structure to be safe for you and your tenants, Gervais Electric, Inc. highly recommends that you schedule an inspection of your old wiring and electrical system. Our skilled team will identify problems and provide effective solutions. To schedule an inspection, give us a call today.
Our team is steadfast in the commitment to meet the individual needs of all our valued clients and to provide only the highest quality electrical products and services. Our team is on hand to answer any questions you may have and discuss any concerns. We take pride in our performance excellence, our simple mission statement, and our high customer satisfaction rating. We remain committed to each as we move forward in the community and marketplace.
For more information about the dangers of old wiring and what you can do to avoid fires or to keep your tenants safe, give us a call today. We look forward to serving you and helping you to determine what upgrades and modifications are needed at your commercial property.