As homeowners, we are all constantly looking for ways to enhance the aesthetic appeal and value of our homes as well as effective ways in which we can reduce monthly electric bills. We are all so dependent on electricity for nearly all that we do, that we tend to simply take it for granted and give little to no attention to its daily cost and usage. When we don’t take adequate steps to ensure cost effective use of electricity, we are sure to find ourselves faced with high electric bills at the end of every month. Certainly, some seasons throughout the year require the use of greater amounts of electricity resulting in very high energy costs. There are a number of steps you can take to enjoy electrical energy savings and reduce those frustrating monthly electric bills.
TIPS TO SAVE MONEY AND ENERGY
- Install light dimmers – By installing dimmers on the general lighting in your home, you are able to control the overall amount of light that is produced and for how long, thereby resulting in the use of less electricity. Dimmers are an effective way of cutting down energy use in your home since rooms in your home rarely need to use all the light that is generated by your general light fixtures.
- Use more power strips – Since appliances and electrical devices continue to use energy even when they are plugged in, the use of power strips will cut off the electricity flowing to your appliances and electrical devices once you power them off. You may want to invest in smart strips that will automatically cut off the power to all the devices and appliances plugged in, that have actually been turned off.
- Install motion sensor lights – These lights are incredibly effective during the evening hours. They will only turn on when motion of any type is detected. With motion sensors there is no need to light up areas that are not typically used and waste additional energy. Motion sensors provide you with the light you need, when you need it and contribute greatly to energy savings.
- Replace outdoor lights with outdoor solar lights –If your property has many outdoor lights installed along the sidewalks, patio or pathways, it is much more efficient to install solar lights. Solar lights are able to absorb energy from the sun during the daytime, which allows them to run for free all night long.
- Replace those old bulbs with LEDs – LEDs reduce the amount of electricity that is used significantly and are not overly expensive at all. They have a much longer lifespan and will provide you with cost savings on energy over the long-term.
- Reduce the temperature on your water heater – Your water heater has to use a great deal of electricity in order to keep the water in the tank hot. If you set the temperature at 120 degrees Fahrenheit you can still properly heat the water all the while saving on energy.
THE LICENSED PROFESSIONALS YOU CAN TRUST
With summer coming up quickly, Gervais Electric, Inc. highly recommends you use these tips for electrical energy savings in your efforts to reduce high electricity bills, especially during the warmer weather months. We feel confident that you will benefit greatly when using these energy saving ideas and will easily notice less expensive electric bills at the end of each month. If you are faced with any type of problems or issues with your home’s electricity or electrical system, then surely you have come to the right place. Simply give a shout out to one of our staff and schedule your home appointment today.