Do you have a business office that is equipped with multiple computers, electrical systems and other equipment that is needed for the operation of your business? If so, do you know what to do if those systems begin to malfunction or even fail? At some point the system in your office space will need an electrical upgrade. Knowing when to do such an upgrade can be a bit of a challenge unless you are aware of the specific warning signs.
How To Tell If It’s Time for An Electrical System Upgrade
There are a number of signs that indicate it may very well be time for an upgrade to the electrical system in your business office. Often times, individuals ignore warning signs which can easily lead to serious electrical problems including system failure and even fires. Some of the warning signs to be on the lookout for include:
- Lights that constantly flicker or dim – If you have noticed that the lights in your office flicker and dim frequently, chances are the electrical system is either failing or is experiencing a constant overload. Continuous flickering or dimming means it’s time for either an electrical upgrade or a replacement.
- Wall outlets that are not useable – If you have outlets in the office that simply do not work, chances are they are not properly grounded. It can also be the result of an issue with the circuit breaker or even a variety of wiring issues. Whatever the case may be, an upgrade, repair or replacement will solve the issue and get your electrical system back on track.
- Cords that are frayed or damaged – If you have noticed cords that are damaged or frayed in any way, the underlying problem is more than likely that they are not able to connect properly to the outlets. Frayed cords can cause a fluctuation in the electrical current which, can over time, damage electronics and other electrical equipment. It is important to have this issue resolved since it presents a safety and fire hazard.
- Outlets that give off sparks – If you notice a burning smell coming from an outlet or the outlet is sparking, this is a sure sign that the specific outlet is overloaded or there is a connection that is loose and needs to be adjusted. Whichever scenario exists, you want to be sure to resolve the problem at hand right away to avoid any safety issues or fire hazards. Faulty, sparking outlets can also cause electrocutions, so be sure not to delay and address the problem right away.
- Circuit breaker trips are constant – If the circuit breaker in the office is tripping continuously, your electrical system is suffering from an overload. When there are a vast number of electronic devices, appliances or other electrical items that are plugged into the same circuit, a trip is apt to occur. The ideal fix for this ongoing problem is to rewire the circuit or add additional circuits to be able to better accommodate the load.
Sum It Up
If you own an office and have noticed any of the above warning signs, it’s time to reach out to the professionals. We highly recommend you do not attempt to resolve any electrical issues on your own since doing so can result in injury and/or excessive damage. Gervais Electric, Inc. is a licensed, certified and insured electrical contractor whose team is steadfast in meeting the individual needs of all our clients. If you are in need of an electrical upgrade, then surely, we are the team for you. Simply give a shout out to one of our staff and schedule your service appointment today. We look forward to serving you and to ensuring the overall safety and functionality of your electrical system!