If you are a business owner who houses your business in a building that is well over 25 years old, or even a historic building, then chances are the wiring and electrical system in your building need attention. Because the wiring is tucked away nicely behind the plaster on the walls, it is understandable why this single element is often forgotten. With that said, aging electrical systems and faulty old wiring contribute to many a fire in older buildings. Both present with many hazards, some of which we are going to discuss right here.
- Knob-and-Tube Wiring – Knob-and-tube wiring is very common in older buildings and over time this wiring becomes compromised, nibbled away by rodents and damaged in a variety of ways. Because of its old age and not so perfect condition, knob-and-tube wiring is one of the leading causes of electrical fires in older buildings.
- Wiring that is Poorly Modified – Most older and historical buildings have wiring that has been altered, changed and tinkered with in other ways over the years. With this tinkering, especially by people who are not certified electricians, there are often live electrical wires that are loose, poor electrical connections and a variety of hidden problems residing right there in the walls of your building structure.
- Presence of Low Amp Wiring – Another common electrical fire risk is that of old wiring
that is inappropriately amped. Many older buildings have wiring with a lower amp rating than is required for running business equipment and various appliances which is a serious fire hazard.
- Faulty Breakers – In older buildings, often the electrical panel has not been upgraded which means that the breakers and the switches may very well be faulty. If they are not functioning properly, the electrical system in your building is unable to operate efficiently. This is dangerous and can surely result in serious fires.
- Inadequate Insulation on Wires – The insulation used on old wiring back in the day is far from perfect and is not industry compliant with today’s standards. The insulation was probably damaged over the years by simple disintegration or by becoming brittle over time. When this occurs, the electrical wiring is then left exposed which can lead to sparks and fires.
- A Poor Electrical Design – It goes without saying that the electrical design in many older buildings is nothing like electrical designs of today. Many years ago, the electrical system in your building was designed to meet different electrical needs and code requirements. The industry codes and standards have changed a great deal over the years, providing much more safety today. Rest assured, were you to have the old wiring in your business building inspected today, the odds are very high it will not pass inspection.
As a matter fact, your business structure may not even be that old and can still have outdated wiring and an outdated electrical system. If your building was constructed in the 70’s or before, then chances are you have some very serious electrical issues going on behind those walls. To feel safe and secure in your building, and to know that your employees are safe as well, the experts here at Gervais Electric, Inc. highly recommend you have your old wiring system inspected to ensure that there are no major fire risks. If you need an electrical inspection, then you have come to the right place. Reach out to our experts at Gervais Electric and schedule your inspection today. We look forward to providing you with all your electrical needs and to enhance the safety of your business and your employees. Don’t delay. Be safe, be wise, be sure. Contact us today! (615) 973-1436.