More and more people today are interested in owning electric vehicles. And buying an electric vehicle begets the need for an electric car charging port at the home. We have put together some important facts below to help you understand what goes into installing a port in the home, and to help you determine whether or not it is worth the cost and effort. So, if you already own an electric car or are thinking about purchasing one, these important facts should help in deciding whether a charging port is practical for you.
IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT CHARGING PORTS
- You Must Have Proper Electrical Infrastructure – For starters, it’s important to have the electrical infrastructure in your home inspected and assessed by one of our certified electricians. This inspection will help to ensure that your home or garage is equipped with the safe and necessary electrical system. You want to be sure that your electrical system meets the required standards for installing an electric car charging port. Also, an inspection is ideal whenever you are thinking of adding any new large electrical appliance or device to your home network.
- Knowing where and when to plug in, charge and go – Before installing your charging port it is best to familiarize yourself with how often you use your electric car. Do you use your vehicle for work only or for all your leisure driving as well? Remember that typically when you are on the go you will be able to find parking stations, malls, and a number of other electric charging stations situated in various locations to provide you with a charge. More times than not, however, an electric car owner prefers to have their own charging port at home to handle all their recharging needs.
- Understanding Charging Speeds – Leaving your home with a full charge each day makes perfect sense. With this in mind, it is important to learn how long it will take to charge your vehicle so you are prepared for all your driving needs. You are able to charge your car using a 120-volt outlet, but this certainly takes a great deal of time, much longer than an electric car charging port that is designed specifically for the task. The amount of time it takes to recharge is dependent upon your battery capacity and the amount of driving you did since your last vehicle charge. Installing a charging port will most assuredly provide you with a faster and more efficient charge for your vehicle since it is equipped with a 240-volt power that needs to be installed by a certified electrician.
- Checking On Whether A Permit Is Required – In some states a permit is required for electric car charging ports. In order to avoid paying any penalties, you may have to obtain a building permit for the electrical circuit that will need to be installed in your home.
- Incentives – There are a number of incentives for individuals to install an electric car charging port in the home, so be sure to check with your utility company to learn about these incentives in advance of your installation.
THE PROFESSIONALS YOU CAN RELY ON
Once you have decided to take the step to ensure you always have a proper charge for your electric vehicle, Gervais Electric stands ready to meet your every need. Our team of highly skilled and experienced electricians is committed to providing only the highest quality electrical parts and services to all our valued clients, and that includes efficient installs of electric car charging ports as well. To learn more about charging ports or to schedule a consultation or appointment, be sure to reach out to one of our staff today!